Giving back to the community by helping others is one of those gifts where both parties are blessed. It’s very fulfilling to reach out and find a way to help other people. In our busy culture that promotes isolation, reaching out is getting more rare… and more necessary. If you’re looking for ideas for giving back to the community, here are seven ways you can reach out and do that…
Giving Back to the Community: 7 Ways You Can Help Others
1. Pay a Compliment
Does that seem too small? You’d be surprised. Paying someone a compliment can absolutely lift their spirits and make their day. There’s almost always something you can compliment about a person – fingernail design/color, a piece of jewelry, an article of clothing, or a hairstyle.
Take this a bit further and pay a compliment to someone that is not superficial. Compliment their good attitude, for example, or point out their calm under pressure. Just simple compliment can mean so much.
2. Volunteer Your Time and/or Talent
While it may not seem personal at first, volunteering is a fantastic way to give back to your community while making individual people feel supported and cared about. Here are some ideas of where you can volunteer.
- Your local church is a good place to start. There is almost always a program going on or coming up, and volunteers are always needed.
- Homeless shelters and soup kitchens always need a helping hand. You’ll help the hard-working coordinators who run the shelter or kitchen, and you’ll also help those in need who come there.
- Nursing homes are another great possibility for volunteering. Residents may appreciate a visit, and the staff might have you help decorate or clean up for an event.
3. Be Friendly to Your Neighbors
Just being nice and smiling at people can give them a lift for the day. Say hello and give folks a smile, and you may be a more positive influence than you know.
4. Donate Your Gently Used Belongings
Whether you give your used stuff to someone personally or to your local second-hand shop, the effect is the same: you get to give something to someone that they might otherwise not be able to afford. You can also donate money to a charity that you believe in and want to see flourish.
5. Show Someone How to Do Something
Does your elderly neighbor not understand the computer but want to connect with her grandkids on Facebook? Maybe your daughter’s best friend is struggling with math or some other subject at school, or your neighbor’s son needs someone to show him how to play soccer. If we look closely at the people we rub shoulders with on a daily basis, most of us can identify someone who needs help learning a new skill. Step up and teach!
6. Do a Chore for Someone
Whether it’s taking out the garbage for the elderly person down the road, raking a yard, shoveling snow, or mowing someone’s lawn, stepping up to do a much-needed chore can be a tremendous help. Look for ways to be a helping hand to those around you!
7. Perform Random Acts of Kindness
There are so many ways you can help others. Just use a little creativity and be willing to help wherever it’s needed.