My kids are HUGE fans of all things Dr. Seuss, so when we found a tutorial for making The Cat in the Hat with a paper plate, they were all over it!
Related: Dr Seuss activities for kids
The Cat in the Hat Paper Plate Craft
Searching online, I found this Cat in the Hat paper plate craft. We modified it slightly to work for us.
- A paper plate
- Construction paper (we colored printer paper)
- Markers, crayons, etc.
- Pipe cleaners (black is suggested, but we only had bright colored ones)
- Print out of face and bow-tie
- Color the paper plate black.
- Color red stripes onto a piece of white construction paper.
- Print the cat face and the bow.
- Cut them out. Glue to the paper plate.
- Draw facial features onto the face.
- Give each child two pipe cleaners and glue them on.
- Glue the hat to the plate.
- Cut two black triangles for ears and glue on.
I’d love to see your kids’ finished products – upload a picture to my Facebook page!
Be sure to check out We LOVE Dr. Seuss!! for great ideas for celebrating Dr. Seuss’ birthday on March 2!!