A few years ago, I switched from using a popular name brand toothpaste (that I’d been using my entire life) to using a natural toothpaste with essential oils. While I loved the natural toothpaste, I didn’t love the price tag or the fact that I had to belong to an MLM company in order to buy it, so I started looking for recipes to make my own homemade toothpaste with essential oils.
I researched several different homemade toothpaste recipes, but most of them called for ingredients I didn’t have on hand and wasn’t willing to buy large quantities of in order to try out a new natural toothpaste recipe.
I finally found a recipe that called for ingredients that I mostly had on hand. Now I can whip up a batch in about five minutes.
Homemade Toothpaste with Essential Oils
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (I prefer to use extra virgin, organic, cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil for the best quality)
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Xylitol (available at your local health food store or Amazon.com)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 10-15 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled water
1. Melt coconut oil. (I like to put my coconut oil in a glass dish and set the dish in a warm/hot water bath, stirring the oil occasionally until it’s liquid.)
2. Remove oil from heat source, and add remaining ingredients except for the essential oil.
3. Cool slightly and add essential oil.
4. Store in reusuable tube in cool place (coconut oil will liquefy at 75°F).
It really is that easy to make your own homemade toothpaste with essential oils!
Natural Toothpaste with Essential Oils
To be perfectly honest, about the same time I found this recipe, my favorite essential oil company released their own natural toothpaste with essential oils, and I fell in love with it. My teeth have never felt this clean!
This natural toothpaste whitens teeth, protects tooth enamel, and promotes overall dental health.
- Calcium Hydroxyapatite is clinically proven to whiten teeth, restore tooth enamel and prevent tooth decay.
- Hydrated silica provides additional whitening.
- Spearmint and Peppermint essential oils leave your mouth and breath smelling fresh and clean!
Related Article: Benefits of Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil
My whole family loves the flavor and how clean their teeth look and feel. Even my husband likes it… and that’s saying a lot!
Ava Shield Cool Mint Toothpaste is my new go-to natural toothpaste with essential oils. I only make my own homemade toothpaste with essential oils when I run out and forget to order another tube!